Give a little. Get a lot in return.
Each United Methodist Homes campus offers volunteer opportunities for individuals, school groups, social clubs, and religious organizations. Perhaps you have a specific talent to share, or just have time you’d like to spend helping others. No matter what you’re interested in, we’re sure one of our campuses has a need for you.
Volunteer comes from the Latin root word volo, meaning “to want to” or “to wish.” United Methodist Homes staff and residents truly value the time community members want to give in service to our campuses. Why volunteer? We can think of as many reasons as there are individual volunteers. Here are just a few.
- To give back to the community
- An interest in serving the elderly
- Give back to get back – volunteering makes you feel good
- A chance to socialize with residents and other volunteers
- A chance to use skills you’ve developed in your professional life
Volunteers can help in many ways. Common volunteer activities include:
- Assisting on special outings such as shopping or lunches
- Helping with regularly-scheduled activities (card games, etc.)
- Helping with special events (Mother’s Day tea, etc.)
- Bringing animals in to visit (please bring current vaccination paperwork)
- Facilitating book club discussions
- Musical performances
- Offering a demonstration (cake decorating, magic acts, dancing, etc.)
- Participating in religious events such as Bible study, hymn sing, or a Sunday service
- Sharing other special talents
- Transporting residents within the facility
- Visiting with residents one-on-one to provide companionship
How to volunteer.
Individuals interested in volunteering must complete an application, undergo a physical including a tuberculosis test, and be able to provide proof of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccinations (all required due to the vulnerable health of long-term care residents). Once these requirements have been met, accepted volunteers will receive an orientation on campus.
For more information, to arrange a tour to see where you can volunteer, or to apply, please contact the following:
Elizabeth Church Campus
(607) 722-3463, ext. 233
(607) 798-7818, ext. 252
(570) 836-2983, ext. 15
Wesley Village Campus
(570) 655-2891, ext. 214
Let us know how we can help.
If you need us, we’re here. Use the link below to get in touch.